My Creamy Beet Soup is a healthy treat. Beets, including beet greens, contain an amazing array of antioxidants, other vitamins, minerals, fiber, and protein. They are also believed to support our body’s detox system as well as having anti-inflammatory properties.
(serves 4 and great for leftovers)
- 1 tbsp. cold pressed olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups fat-free organic chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegan)
- 3 large beets, peeled and cut in quarters
- 1 medium sweet potato, skinned and cubed
- 2 cup full fat, canned coconut milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
Heat the oil in a large pot, big enough to make the soup.
Add onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook for one more minute or until onion
Add broth, beets, sweet potato, and bay leaf. Boil for 15 minutes or until beets and sweet potato become tender.
Add coconut milk and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
Transfer small batches of soup into a blender and blend 3-4 batches until smooth. Add salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
Bon Appétit! – Veronica