This is a delicious fall treat and a great first course for Thanksgiving dinner. It’s very filling and makes you feel warm inside even though it’s a salad. It’s also very healthy and vegan.
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup diced sweet or yellow onion
- 1 small butternut squash, seeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups wild greens (arugula, spinach, or mixed herbs)
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
In a large non-stick pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and butternut squash. (The smaller the squash is diced the more quickly it will cook.) Sauté the squash and onions over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the squash is soft. Do not burn the squash or onions.
Add the garlic, nutmeg and thyme, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer the butternut squash to a bowl and stir in the cooked quinoa. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cool mixture in the refrigerator.
To serve, mix the dressing ingredients and drizzle over greens. Top with cooled butternut squash mix and garnish with pomegranate seeds. Serves 2-4.