On my trip to Greece I fell in love with Moussaka. But not with the ingredients – too much fat and carbs. Here is my healthier version. Make it vegan: replace the lamb with 3 cups of minced mushrooms.
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed olive oil, divide use
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free flour
- 1 cup Chef V’s Raw Almond Milk, room temperature (see recipe)
- 3/4 cup Daiya mozzarella shreds, divided use
- 1/2 cup vegetable btogh
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 large (or 2 small) zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise like lasagna noodles
Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly coat a 6×6-inch backing dish with coconut oil sprat. Set aside.
In a non-stick skillet, sauté the onions in 1 tablespoon of oil for 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and lamb (and/or mushrooms). Sauté for 3 more minutes, until the lamb is cooked and mushrooms are soft but still have texture. Set aside.
Heat the remaining oil in a small saucepan over the medium low heat. Add the flour and whisk until it is completely incorporated. Let the flour cook for 1 more minute. Slowly whisk in the almond milk and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1/2 cup of shreds and whisk until completely melted. Add veggie broth, rosemary, nutmeg, sea salt, and black pepper, and continue cooking until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
Assemble the moussaka in the prepared baking dish:
- Cover the bottom with a layer of zucchini slices.
- Sprinkle with half the mozzarella shreds.
- Top with lamb and/or mushroom mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella shreds.
- Cover with a layer of zucchini slices
- Top with sauce.
Bakc for 45 minutes or until the sauce is golden brown. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.