It’s not Christmas until the smell of gingerbread is wafting through your kitchen. Thankfully we got you covered with our very own homemade recipe created with your health in mind. Ingredients that will leave your taste buds satisfied instead of full with regret, these are also a great gift for neighbors, teachers and party hosts. A little secret…It’s just as much fun making them as it is eating them. But don’t take our word for it, get festive with your favorite cookie cutters and designs with our coconut whipped cream as frosting. Enjoy!
- 1 tbsp. flaxseed meal
- 3 tbsp. filtered water
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup raw, unsweetened almond butter
- 3 tbsp. raw coconut nectar
- ¼ cup vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups gluten-free baking flour (we like Bob’s Red Mill)
What You’ll Need
Gingerbread cookie cutters
- Mix flax meal with water and let rest for 5 minutes. This mixture will serve as our egg substitute.
- Mix all ingredients together except the flour for 3 minutes on high. Add flour and stir with a spoon or mix with your hands. If mix is too dry, add 1 tsp. of water at a time until dough like consistency.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- Remove the dough and preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Cover a flat surface or cutting board and the rolling pin with gluten-free flour to prevent sticking.
- Roll the dough out to a thin consistency (the cookies will not rise very much). Use the cookie cutters to create the shape of your gingerbread men.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with coconut oil or other cooking spray.
- Space the cookies 1 ½ inch away from each other and bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly crisp. Let the cookies cool and use coconut whipped cream as frosting. (See our Coconut Whipped Cream recipe HERE.)