Nightshades tend to cause inflammation in the body. Tomatoes are in lots of yummy sauces like ketchup, BBQ sauce and marinara. These sauces can cause inflammation in the body and discomfort.
Try this tomato-less bbq sauce recipe as an alternative and see how much better you feel. You can use this sauce on anything that calls for BBQ sauce.
– ½ yellow onion
– 1 cup sweet potatoes cooked and mashed
– 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
– ½ cup coconut sugar
– 3 tablespoons coconut nectar
– 1 tablespoon honey
– ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– ½ teaspoon chili powder
– ½ teaspoon mustard powder
– ½ teaspoon salt
– ½ cup water
– In a medium sized pot, boil water and your peeled and chopped sweet potatoes until fork tender. Drain the potatoes and mash lightly with a fork.
– In a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients. Blend on medium speed for 1 minute or until the sauce is smooth.
– Transfer the sauce to a small pot and cook on low for 15 minutes, stirring to make sure it doesn’t burn on the bottom.
– Use sauce immediately or store in the fridge for 1 month.